- Focus On Comprehension (Lehr & Osborn, PREL, 2005)
This is a GREAT 52 page pdf about comprehension by PREL (Pacific Resources for Education & Learning).
- How to Improve Reading Comprehension (Pirillo)
Although it’s impossible to cover everything about reading comprehension in a 5 minute video, I think Chris hit on some key points.
- Phraze Craze (Peha)
This article was a HUGE aha for me and definitely influenced my work with students struggling with fluency and comprehension.
- Reading as Reasoning: A Study of Mistakes in Paragraph Reading (Thorndike, 1917)
This is a landmark paper and is often cited. It is a great read!
- Reading Comprehension Instruction (a podcast by Professor Daniel T. Willingham)
Willingham discusses how teachers teach reading comprehension using comprehension strategies & why that is not enough.
- Reading Comprehension Requires Knowledge–of Words and the World (Hirsch, AFT, Spring 2003)
This article influenced my thoughts on teaching reading. I consider it a must read!
- Teaching Content is Teaching Reading (Willingham, New America Foundation, 2009)
This is a short article and a must-see video that demonstrates the importance of background knowledge to comprehension.
- TWRCtank’s YouTube Comprehension Playlist
This is my collection of YouTube videos that focus on comprehension. (After clicking on the link, look on the right hand side of YouTube to see all the videos in the playlist.)
- Voice Inflection (Swallow)
- What Reading Does for the Mind (Cunningham & Stanovich, AFT, Spring/Summer 1998)
This article really influenced my thoughts on teaching reading. I consider it another must read. Some of my favorite charts are included, too!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this simple lesson! It teaches students that putting emphasis on different words completely changes the meaning of a text.