There are many exciting literacy events coming up in the next few months and I thought I’d share some with you. I will list them in the order in which they take place.
- You can win free books for your school by having students vote on which books they think should win the California Young Reader Medal and then submitting a copy of your ballot to the Orange County Reading Association by April 1, 2012. (This is open to schools in Orange County only). To find out more, visit this post on the Orange County Reading Association’s website.
- April is National Poetry Month. To find some activities, you can visit www.poets.org and this post I wrote about some of my favorite poetry resources http://twrctank.com/2010/04/16/looking-for-a-great-way-to-practice-reading-fluency-think-poetry/.
- National DEAR Day takes place on April 12th. To learn more about this day and to find some resources, visit http://www.dropeverythingandread.com/NationalDEARday.html.
- California State University, Fullerton is holding a free community literacy festival on April 21, 2012. The event takes place on their Irvine campus. To find out more, visit http://www.fullerton.edu/litfestival/. I am presenting about authors who visit classrooms and book clubs via Skype. If you would like to visit during my sessions and you are an author or a teacher who has conducted these visits, please contact me using this contact form or leave me a comment in the comment section below.
- The Los Angeles Times is holding its 17th Annual Festival of Books on April 21-22, 2012 at the University of Southern California. For more, see http://events.latimes.com/festivalofbooks/.
- The International Reading Association is holding its 57th Annual Convention in Chicago, Illinois on April 29 through May 2, 2012. I’ve been to seven of the last eight conventions and loved every minute of them. For more, see http://reading.org/convention.aspx. To find out why you should attend, visit this post I wrote http://twrctank.com/2010/04/19/why-you-should-attend-an-international-reading-association-convention/.
- On May 19, 2012, the Orange County Department of Education is holding a Young Author’s Faire. To find out more, visit http://ocde.us/yaf/Pages/default.aspx.
- The United States Department of Education is holding a National Comprehensive Literacy Institute in Anaheim, California on July 30-August 1, 2012. I attended their Reading Institute in 2010 and it was phenomenal. I wrote about it here http://twrctank.com/2010/08/21/presenter-handouts-fro-the-united-states-department-of-educations-reading-institute-in-anaheim-2010/. The institute is FREE! To find out more, visit http://www.mikogroup.com/sr2012/sr2012default.aspx.
If you know of other literacy events, I’d love to hear about them in the comment section.