Well, I am much happier with the appearance of my blog today. I managed to insert a logo and a lot of widgets. Before setting up the blog, I looked at many other blogs to see what I liked and did not like. I have managed to insert most of the things I liked (I think). However, I wonder if it is too many.
I had a difficult time finding a theme I liked, but I finally “settled” on this one by www.heatmaptheme.com. After playing around with it a lot these past few days, I have to say I found it pretty easy to use and I want to thank them publicly for letting me use it for free. What would make me like it even better is if it had a column on the very left and if it had more of a literacy feel.
What made me really love the theme is the ability to add links on the sidebar and include a description of the link. I have the option to hide the description, but it will still appear if you hover over the link. I might change it to the latter because it makes the page really long to scroll through the way it is set up now. One thing I don’t like is that the search box does not search the links or the link categories. I am hoping that these link categories (and links) will be very helpful to those looking for help in a specific area of teaching reading. I can also rate the links and display that publicly. I did this in the beginning, but then realized I was giving most of them 10s, so I don’t think it would be that helpful.
Eventually I will write posts about the links. Underneath each post, readers can rate each post. I hope they will actually rate the link on a scale of 1 to 10. I can add another line for the posts to be rated on a 5 star posting system. Perhaps I will do that. I really do like feedback–good or constructive, but especially specific.
I’m not sure how happy I am with my blog name. However, since the address is www.TWRCtank.com, I felt I needed “TWRCtank” in the name. I wonder what you think. I also wonder about including the word “tank” in my name as it can have negative connotations; however I am using it as in “think tank” which I consider a very positive thing.
Oh, another thing I really like about the theme is that it has wide bars on the side. It seems that many of the blogs I look at seem kind of disorganized. Being a pretty persnickety person, I think the look of my sidebars seem pretty clean and organized. However, I wish I knew how to center some of the widgets.
I am on my knees right now (in my head) begging you for some feedback. What kinds of things am I wondering?
- What do you think of the overall appearance?
- What do you think of my name and logo?
- Was it easy for you to navigate through the site?
- Are there any widgets (things) on the side that you would remove?
- Are there any widgets (things) on the side that you really like?
- What Internet browser are you using and how does it look? I know it looks different in several of them. The title of my blog is, “TWRCtank: Teaching Reading Resources & TWRcs by Julie Niles Petersen.” On some of the browsers I checked, some of the text did not display.
- Did you try to comment? Was it difficult to do so? (I ask this because there have been several times where I did not leave a comment on a blog because I could not figure out how or it just seemed like too much work.)
- Do you like the comment rating system and sharing system I chose or do you think there is a better one?
- What do you think about these pages: About, Find Me On, Polls, TWRC with Julie, and Disclosures+? Too much? Not enough? Something else?
- Do you think I’m too wordy?
- Did you have trouble with anything?
- What do you like the most? Why?
- What do you like the least? Why?
- Do you have any helpful hints for me?
- Did it take a long time for your computer to load this blog?
I know I asked for a lot–especially if you are not familiar with reading blogs. Feel free to answer selectively. On the other hand, if you would like to reply to all of my questions, I will be forever grateful.
Thank you so much for reading and I look forward to your feedback.
P.S. After I publish this post and get the TWRCtank up live, I will go sing karaoke to celebrate that it is live. I have comments set up to be moderated meaning I must approve them before they appear. I may change this in the future. My point? If I was home right after I published it, I know I would be checking it every minute for new comments. I think it will be very good that I will be unable to do so even though I am extremely eager to hear your TWRCs!